Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Am I being discontent in what God has given me?

Question:
I started out to be a pastor, but became a hospital chaplain for ten years. Now I am doing community evangelism. I love doing this, but my pastor wants me to get accredited as a minister in the American Baptist [denomination]. My Bible college was unaccredited, and my chaplain training for five years was through a curriculum of HCMA, located in Placentia, CA; so I’m having trouble satisfying the requirements for accreditation. I have lots of people vouching for my ministry and other means, but I feel like my training was the wrong type, with so much frustration. If I worked as pastor, I would be teaching, counseling, and evangelizing, but not much preaching. Am I being discontent in what God has given me? Jealous of another type of ministry, etc.?

Answer:
Since I do not know the specifics of your situation or your pastor’s perspective, I cannot answer to those, except that he, as your pastor, cares for your soul (Hebrews 13:17), and his advice may be quite valuable to follow.


Regarding your specific questions about being discontent or jealous: I would ask one question of you: are you? Perhaps, the reason you asked those insightful questions of self-examination is that, deep inside, you believe you are discontent and/or jealous. Only you can answer those questions before God.


You are aware, I’m sure, of what the Scriptures say about contentment:
…I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content (Philippians 4:11b).
And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content (1 Timothy 6:8).
Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have... (Hebrews 13:5a).
I’m sure you are also aware of what the Scriptures say about faithfulness:
He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much (Luke 16:10-11).
Compare also Luke 19:11-26.
A good friend of mine and a faithful servant of the Lord used to say, “Bloom where you’re planted!” I encourage you to serve the Lord faithfully and cheerfully in whatever capacity you are in right now. Certainly, seek to improve your understanding of the Scriptures, seek and abide by godly counsel, and watch to see what the Lord will do with you as He sees fit in His time.

For more Questions and Answers visit www.gotquestion.org

No comments:

Post a Comment